Last year’s race
- Winner: Vosne Romanee
- Jockey: Sam Twiston-Davies
- Trainer: Dr R D P Newland
- Owner: Foxtrot Nh Racing Partnership Vi
- Age: 7 Weight: 11st 12lbs
- Starting Price: 13/2
- Season Form Figures: 112P
- Previous Best: 1st - Class 2 Handicap Chase, Stratford, July 2018
This Listed handicap chase over 2m 167y is not the strongest of races from a trends perspective.
Certainly not as far as weight carried is concerned as the top weight won last season whereas three of the previous six winners struck from outside of the handicap. A potential angle though is that three of the last seven winners were ridden by conditional jockeys claiming 7lb (x2 - the Bowen brothers) and 10lb (Patrick Corbett).
Watch Ascot live on Sky Sports Racing (Sky 415 | Virgin 535) on Saturday 2nd November.
The last three winners had the advantage of a run earlier in the season but nine of the last 16 winners were seasonal debutants. Perhaps the increased prize money in recent years has focussed connections’ minds more to get their contenders sharper for this £60K guaranteed pot?
Just one winner aged older than eight in the last ten years is not a great surprise for a valuable 2m handicap chase and, as such, it has been a pretty good race for punters with 11 of the last 16 winners returned at no bigger than 13/2.
This is often a good card for Venetia Williams and she has won two of the last six runnings of this handicap and also won a renewal the previous decade so sits on three successes alongside Paul Nicholls.
At a glance summary
- Had a run earlier in the season
- Likely to start at under 7/1
- Ridden by conditional jockeys (notably taking 7lb+ off)
- Trained by Venetia Williams and Paul Nicholls
- Aged 9+